Start the probate process
In order to Settle an Estate, a number of administrative and legal tasks must first be completed.
This is process is known as Probate, and to get started, first review the deceased’s Will, or assess state law in the absence of one.
- Review last will and testament
- Identify the executor
- Identify heirs of the estate
- Determine need for an attorney
- Determine need for an accountant
- File petition to start probate
- Review probate bond requirements
- Get probate authorized in court
- Notify persons of interest
- Notify creditors that probate has been authorized by the probate court
- Obtain an IRS Tax ID number for the estate
- File IRS Form 56