How to close accounts
For each type of account the deceased had, you will need to follow the steps and procedures for closing.
These steps and procedures can and will vary between types of account as well as between different companies, organizations and institutions.
In this chapter, you will find help with closing the most common types of accounts
Important Whether it’s an executor or family member helping with this process, it’s important to keep records of all accounts that have been closed and any associated expenses.
Read More For more information on record keeping for an estate, see the “Keep accurate records of all estate bills, debts, taxes and other expenses” section of the Guide.
- Notify government agencies
- Notify credit bureaus
- Notifying utility companies
- Notify storage space company
- Cancel property timeshares
- Cancel memberships
- Cancel digital subscriptions
- Cancel magazine, newspaper, and other mail subscriptions
- Close email and social media accounts
- Cable, phone and/or internet plans
- Close e-commerce accounts
- Evaluate airline miles and credit card loyalty points
- Close gaming accounts and cancel gaming subscriptions
- Close Gmail and other Google services
- Close Apple accounts
- Close financial accounts and services
- Close payor accounts last