Request veterans benefits

All honorably discharged veterans and their Surviving Families are eligible for the following Funeral Services:

  • Burial in a national veterans cemetery
  • Free headstone and marker
  • Burial flag
  • Presidential memorial certificate
  • Honor guard attendance at the funeral, if available

These items can be ordered directly from the Veterans Affairs website.

Additionally, the surviving spouse, child, or parent of a service member who died in the line of duty, or who died from a service-related injury or illness, may be eligible for benefits from a number of veterans programs:

  • Burial Allowance - can help cover the Burial, funeral, and transportation costs
  • Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) - a tax-free monetary benefit available to the surviving family of a service member who died in the line of duty, or a veteran who died from a service-related injury or illness
  • Survivors Pension - monthly payments to qualified surviving spouses and unmarried dependent children of wartime veterans who meet certain income and net worth limits

Exclamation_Icon.svgImportant To report the death of a deceased veteran, and learn more about possible death benefits, call the Veterans Affairs benefits hotline. You will likely need to provide the deceased's:

  • Full name
  • Social Security Number
  • Branch of service
  • Date of birth
  • Date of death

Helpful Tips

In addition to notifying the Department of Veterans Affairs, and the Social Security Administration, it's important to also contact:

The Defense Manpower Data Center (DMDC) will receive medical and dental care information from the Social Security Administration.

However, it may take some time for DMDC to receive information from the SSA, so you may notify DMDC of the death by:

  • Visiting a local ID card office with a copy of the death certificate
  • Faxing a copy of the death certificate to 1-800-336-4416
  • Mailing a copy of the death certificate to: Defense Manpower Data Center Support Office, 400 Gigling Road, Seaside, CA 93955

Exclamation_Icon.svgImportant If you have any questions, call the DMDC,, Mon - Fri, 8:00am - 8:00pm EST.

Guides_Icon.svgRead More For more information on reporting a death to the Social Security Administration, see the "File for social security survivors benefits" section of the Guide.

Additional Resources

Military OneSource is a comprehensive service that offers information and support to help surviving families of deceased veterans.

For more information about survivors benefits, see the Military OneSource website.

Actions to Take

To report the death of a service member or veteran, call the Veterans Affairs (VA) business hotline Mon - Fri, 8:00am - 9:00pm EST

Apply for VA funeral assistance online

Download an application for Burial Benefits from the VA

Veterans Benefits Attorneys help veterans get the benefits they are entitled to from the Department of Veterans Affairs. They can also help you understand the rights of veterans whose death or illness was related to their service.

Providers to Contact

Probate Attorneys Near You

Probate Attorneys can help you identify and apply for benefits owed to the deceased. They help settle a deceased person’s estate.

No results in your area.