Review additional death benefits opportunities
While not everything may be relevant to your situation, it's best to know all that could be available in order to ensure that nothing is missed.
Additional benefit types include, but are not limited to:
- Accidental benefits - if an accidental death benefit was part of the deceased's life insurance policy, then benefits may be available if the death was deemed an accident
- Workers' compensation - if the deceased had been receiving workers' compensation, or if the death was due to a work-related injury or illness, additional benefits may be available
- State disability benefits - if the state was providing disability benefits, contact that state agency to see what is available
- Civil service benefits - if the deceased was an employee of a federal government agency, contact that agency for more information
- Unions - if the deceased was part of a union (teacher, trade, credit, etc.), speak with a union representative
- Health insurance - some policies may reimburse Funeral expenses, so review the policy or speak with the provider
- Public assistance - contact county or state social services agency for more information about assistance for low income households
Template for contacting the deceased’s union
[Date] [Union Name] [Union Street Address] [Union City, State, Zip Code]
RE: [Name of Deceased], [Membership Number or ID]
To Whom it May Concern:
On [Date of Death], a member of your Union, [Name of Deceased] passed away. I am [Relationship to Deceased]. I am contacting you to determine if the Union provides any form of death benefit, burial, or funeral assistance. If so, please let me know what I need to do, or what information I need to provide, to claim the benefit. I can be reached at [Your Contact Information].
Thank you in advance for your assistance, it is truly appreciated.
[Your Name] [Relationship to Deceased]
Providers to Contact
Probate Attorneys Near You
Probate Attorneys can help you identify and apply for benefits owed to the deceased. They help settle a deceased person’s estate.