Consular Report of Death of a US Citizen Abroad

A Consular Report of Death of a U.S. Citizen Abroad, also known as a "CRDA", is an official document issued by the U.S. Department of State that records the death of a U.S. citizen who has died outside of the United States.

The document is issued by the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate to the location where the person died and typically issued to the Executor of Estate or Next of Kin.

Because it may be used as an official Death Certificate, the CRDA is an important document and may be needed to help settle legal and financial matters related to deceased, such as life insurance claims or the transfer of assets. It may also be required by government agencies or financial institutions as proof of the person's death.

The process for obtaining a CRDA can vary depending on the country where the person died, but generally involves submitting a request to the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate, along with supporting documents, like proof of the deceased person's U.S. citizenship.